Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Indian golfer Sharmila Nicollet is raring to go at the Deloitte Ladies Open after her recent success at the Turkish Airlines Ladies Open at Antalya, where she finished tied 17th. Sharmila, the only Indian at the Ladies European Tour (LET), is playing in the prestigious tour for a second successive year and will compete against some of the top lady golfers in the world. The 250,000 euro ...
MIAMI - Capt. Michael Burke sailed through life with his unending spirit and romantic outlook, touching the lives of many with his cruise empire, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. His own journey came to and end Sunday, when the 89-year-old succumbed to pneumonia at his Miami Beach home. With his colorful character and grandiose disposition, Burke was an unforgettable personality for the legions of ...
Summer is one of the busiest travel times of the year in a lot of places--with a few exceptions. It's low season in many tropical locales, winter-sports meccas, and destinations on the other side of the hemisphere. And low season, of course, equates to a high chance of money-saving travel deals. We compared peak and off-peak pricing in a variety of destinations to bring you the most ...
The appetizer at the Bar-B-Q shop includes polish sausage and BBQ bologna, both doused in the signature house sauce, plus cheese, crackers and hot ...
Winds: From the ENE at 6 MPH
The House on Haunted Hill
When infamous horror director/producer William Castle made schlock-shock movies like 1958's "The House on Haunted Hill," there was a certain charm to the effort that overrode the fundamental tastelessness of most of his work. Castle was a born showman (he once said that he modeled his career on P.T. Barnum), a talented promoter who was constantly coming up with new and devious ways to thrill and ... ...
Experts say it will cost more to rent a car or stay in a hotel over the holiday weekend Tens of millions of Americans are going to get away this Memorial Day weekend, but not as many as last year. According to the auto club AAA, 34.8 million Americans will travel at least 50 miles from home for the unofficial start of the summer travel season, a 0.9% dip from 2012.As usual, most will make their ...
Turkish Airlines plans to expand cooperation with Azerbaijan opening the Istanbul-Lankaran air flight. "We are negotiating with the Azerbaijani side on the opening of a flight to Lankaran. It will presumably open in summer of 2014", head of the company Temel Kotil told Azerbaijani journalists as part of the International Transport Forum in Leipzig. Lankaran will be the fourth ...
Positively Cleveland wants to get more people in service-related jobs involved in promoting the city. Cleveland tourism group Positively Cleveland will train about 500 bartenders, taxi cab drivers and other people in service-related positions to become ambassadors of the city, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The group outlined that plan and other visions for the city's future at its ...
Kerala News: The first seaplane aircraftfor Kerala has reached New Delhi for the mandatory clearances from the Customs and the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and is expected to arrive in Kochi, the base of the seaplane operations, later this ...
The Shangri-La Bosphorus has just opened in a converted 1930s tobacco warehouse on the European side of the Bosphorus in Istanbul. Its guestrooms range from 42- to 60-square-metres in size, most with river views; 17 suites have private terraces. Istanbul's Shangri-La has a Chi spa and a signature Chinese restaurant, Shang Palace, all of which will be familiar to Abu Dhabi's residents. ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Le Meridien Dubai
I had taken a rental car from Abu Dhabi and driven up to Dubai, a trip of about 140 kilometres. ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Perth HeraldPerth Herald – News Resource for Perth, Western Australia
Breaking news from Perth, and Western Australia generally is the focus of the Perth Herald. This online newspaper has an extended scope, and includes international news, Australian national stories, and updates from the business world, global and Australian markets.
In addition to our own resources in our Perth bureau, we have our own interstate and overseas offices, and take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
Perth is an important city in Australia, its economy, fueled by the state’s resources boom, leads the nation. Much of the news and information about happenings in the state is picked up by the national, and international media. Our aim is to keep ahead of the pack, delivering real time, instant coverage of major events in the city and state.
For parties that require Perth news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of Perth news delivered to their inbox, we provide this service on a daily basis, and it is complimentary.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the Perth Herald please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Young Australian medium-fast bowler and powerful lower-order hitter Nathan Coulter-Nile and fellow West Australian Mitchell Marsh are the two new names in the 15-man squad for this year's ICC Champions Trophy in England and Wales, announced this morning.
According to Telegraph.com.au, Twenty20 skipper George Bailey has edged out keeper Matthew Wade for the post of vice captain for the eight-nation tournament, adding that he will be a vital middle-order batsman after a strong showing in the ODI series against Sri Lanka and West Indies.
News.com.au has said that Coulter-Nile's impressive Twenty20 and ODI form earned him a call-up in the squad, along with Adam Voges, who also got his chance to continue in the green and gold after a strong finish in the Australian summer.
According to the report, the young Marsh has got another shot at international cricket after overcoming a serious hamstring injury this summer and is expected to be a key all rounder, along with James Faulkner, Glenn Maxwell and Shane Watson.
The report further said that 'Reigning ODI Player of the Year' Clint McKay would carry the bulk of the fast bowling duties, along with specialist pacemen Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc and Coulter-Nile. ...
- Clarke back but no Shaw for Magpies
- Key Tigers return for Dreamtime clash
- Embley leapfrogged at Eagles
- OMeara has big plans with Suns
- Krakouer glad that AFL times have changed
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Australia India strengthen agriculture skills ties
- Brazilian girls bid to sell virginity now turns into reality TV series
- Ford to close manufacturing operations in Australia slash 1200 jobs
- Oz pace attack shaking in their boots after ominous English swing against Kiwis at Lords
- Tribals in Niyamgiri demonstrate against Bauxite mining
- Biodiversity guideline a ‘step in the right direction’ – panel
- A.M. Kitco Metals Roundup Safe-Haven Investor Demand Boosts Gold Amid Risk-Off Attitudes
- Avnel Gold Mining Limited - Exploration update
- Norway gives nod to North Sea exploration
- Chidambaram says U.S. Federal Reserves statement misunderstood calls for calm
- PSG lures Rooney with 100 mln-dollar-deal
- PT Q1 profit down 52 on Brazil forex impact
- I’ll buy that for a dollar MNP fee slashed porting capacity multiplied
- EURUSD below 1.2900 ahead of US data
- BOOK REVIEW The Rise of the Vampire
- US Congress Moves Toward Full Trade Embargo on Iran
- Immigration bill a testament to compromise
- In L.A. polishing up the pedways
- WLOX Editorial Remember and honor those who died serving our country
- 25 Of People Say Birthday Success Is Based On How Much Social Media Love You Get
- ValueVision switches channels from ShopNBC to ShopHQ
- Shazam redesigns its iPad app with television-tagging in mind
- Abercrombie Fitch stores not friendly to disabled judge says
- Cleveland tourism agency recruiting volunteer city ambassadors
- Americas Cup Findings Revealed
- Keira Knightleys husband says their beautiful wedding was filled with love.
- How Super Rugby teams shape up in round 15
- Gibraltar New 700 Berth Marina Project Launched
- A look ahead to NRL Round 11
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Perth Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Police call centre shortage sparks concern
- WA joins national illegal firearms crackdown
- UWA Breastmilk fights infant infections
- Barnett disappointed by protestors snub
- Make old cells young again to fight cancer