PYONGYANG - North Korea continued to fire short range projectiles into waters off its east coast for a third straight day on Monday, officials here said, despite warnings from the US and South Korea against increasing tensions. The North has conducted six such firings since Saturday, in what are believed to be tests of short-range guided missiles or rockets from multiple launchers, officials ...
NEW DELHI - India and China Monday played down a recent border stand-off and agreed to maintain peace along their disputed boundary as well as boost economic relations. Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang, who decided to make India the first stop of his maiden foreign jaunt as premier, stressed that the population of the two nations comprised one third of the world. Both countries have ...
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Musharraf was Monday granted bail in a case related to the assassination of ex premier Benazir Bhutto. Musharraf has been under house arrest because he is accused of failing to provide adequate security for Bhutto who was murdered in a bomb and gun attack in December 2007 while campaigning for elections. The assassination ...
BAGHDAD, Iraq - More than 60 people, including Iranian Shia pilgrims, were killed in a series of car bombings and shootings across Iraq Monday, officials said. The worst hit in Monday's violence was Baghdad where eight car bombs and a roadside bomb ripped through bus stops, marketplaces and other crowded areas in Shia neighbourhoods. The attacks left 12 people dead and 109 wounded, a senior ...
BEIRUT, Lebanon - At least 23 elite fighters from Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group, fighting alongside the Syrian government troops, were killed near the Lebanese border Monday, an activist group said. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks Syria's war, said more than 100 Hezbollah members also have been wounded in the fighting around the opposition-held ...
Winds: From the North at 5 MPH
American Desi might best be best described as a comedy of cultural conflict. It takes a well-worn Hollywood genre--the teen/college movie--and inflects it with a new twist to explore the experiences of second-generation American teens. The title is short for "American Born Confused Desi," usually referred to by the acronym "ABCD" to describe the troubled cultural identities of these second ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
World No.1 and defending champion Nicol David outclassed India's Joshana Chinappa in the first round of the Allam British Open Squash Championships here Tuesday. The Malaysian squash great took 30 minutes to get past her 26th ranked opponent 11-4, 11-5, 11-4 at the KC Stadium. Joshana had qualified for the main draw. Dipika Pallikal, India's highest ranked player at 15, plays her first round ...
Russia is struggling to beef up its hospitality infrastructure ahead of the 2018 World Cup, with seven of the 11 host cities lagging behind in the number of hotel rooms on offer. Only Moscow, Sochi, St. Petersburg and Kazan meet the FIFA requirement of 60,000 hotel rooms for host cities, World Cup deputy CEO Alexander Djordjadze said Tuesday at the Football Build Expo here. "It's no secret ...
England's bowling coach David Saker has described Jimmy Anderson as the most skillful bowler in the world, following the latter's astounding display during the Lord's Test against New Zealand. The ICC ratings place Steyn at number one, while Anderson languishes at sixth place, more than a hundred ranking points behind. But Saker admits that despite Steyn being an outstanding bowler, Jimmy has ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Perth HeraldPerth Herald – News Resource for Perth, Western Australia
Breaking news from Perth, and Western Australia generally is the focus of the Perth Herald. This online newspaper has an extended scope, and includes international news, Australian national stories, and updates from the business world, global and Australian markets.
In addition to our own resources in our Perth bureau, we have our own interstate and overseas offices, and take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
Perth is an important city in Australia, its economy, fueled by the state’s resources boom, leads the nation. Much of the news and information about happenings in the state is picked up by the national, and international media. Our aim is to keep ahead of the pack, delivering real time, instant coverage of major events in the city and state.
For parties that require Perth news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of Perth news delivered to their inbox, we provide this service on a daily basis, and it is complimentary.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the Perth Herald please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Young Australian medium-fast bowler and powerful lower-order hitter Nathan Coulter-Nile and fellow West Australian Mitchell Marsh are the two new names in the 15-man squad for this year's ICC Champions Trophy in England and Wales, announced this morning.
According to Telegraph.com.au, Twenty20 skipper George Bailey has edged out keeper Matthew Wade for the post of vice captain for the eight-nation tournament, adding that he will be a vital middle-order batsman after a strong showing in the ODI series against Sri Lanka and West Indies.
News.com.au has said that Coulter-Nile's impressive Twenty20 and ODI form earned him a call-up in the squad, along with Adam Voges, who also got his chance to continue in the green and gold after a strong finish in the Australian summer.
According to the report, the young Marsh has got another shot at international cricket after overcoming a serious hamstring injury this summer and is expected to be a key all rounder, along with James Faulkner, Glenn Maxwell and Shane Watson.
The report further said that 'Reigning ODI Player of the Year' Clint McKay would carry the bulk of the fast bowling duties, along with specialist pacemen Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc and Coulter-Nile. ...
- Scott confident Harry will stay
- Edwards proud to take centre stage
- Harry happy at Catland
- Jacobs ready for Daw challenge
- Family comes first when Taylor looks to his future
- Enhanced contract payments for Australian cricket eves
- Warner expected to plead guilty for Twitter rant during CA hearing
- Newly identified immune protein could stop diabetes in its tracks
- Social network addiction taking over lives Australian study
- Annual report of Australia-India Institute-Australia India Youth Dialogue Partnership launched
- Bombardier implements train control technology at Swedish iron-ore mine
- Development of AMD treatment plants for Wits basin under way – Molewa
- Gordhan warns of unrest cross-roads
- Lanxess strike turns violent rubber bullets fired
- SA mining firms shrug off labour tension
- Apple accused of billion-dollar tax evading scheme
- USD Traders Eye FOMC Bernanke- AUD Correction Should Be Sold
- USDCAD retraces from 1.0320
- AUDUSD jumps to 0.9815
- GBPUSD bounces from 7-week low
- Globe Editorial Prime Minister needed to say more in speech to caucus
- Russias spy tale about American sounds fishy
- How a U.S. Spy Saved an FSB Agents Rear End
- Rule by Proxy Is New U.S. Leadership Model
- The Real Costs of CIA Cash
- Marks Spencer loses AdWords battle to Interflora
- In Spite Of Old False Satanist Accusations PG Put A Moon Back Into Its New Logo
- The 11 Most Iconic Food Product Commercials Of All Time
- Axe Commercial Imagines Women Would Love To Be Seduced During A Home Invasion
- Ensuring Compliance with the All-Inclusive Air Price Advertising Requirements of the New Regulations
- Beni advises SAIL to take corrective measures to complete projects on time
- Aldar hands out contract for second Yas marina
- Santa Cruz sailing crew rescues Golden Gate Bridge jumper
- Controversial waka has new home
- Sailing club offers chance to try the sport for free
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Perth Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- A cluster of killings is likely to be an anomaly
- Police seek man over Narrogin death
- Willetton school set to expand
- Proposed 20 per cent tariff increase rejected
- High-rise bottle thrower a Facebook hit